The end of another long school year is definitely an occasion worth marking so gather your kids and their friends for a party to welcome in the summer holidays – there are lots of party recipes in my new summer annual A Free Range Life: Celebrate Summer!. Just click on the image below to download invitations to print at home and follow the instructions below for some crafty party favours.
How to make bejewelled party crowns
Use gems in particular colours if you have a special colour scheme.
- Silver or gold card (use a large sheet to ensure this can wrap around the head easily)
- Assorted plastic gems and/or sequins
1. Draw a zigzag shape from the edge of the card. The highest tips of the zig zag should be about 15cm from base. The length can be adjusted later, so it's best to keep it long to begin with.
2. Cut out the zigzag and bend it round to form hat shape. Measure against a small person or around your own head to check the size and cut off any extra card.
3. Secure the ends of the card with glue or tape.
4. Glue gems all over the crown, spacing out the big and small ones and leaving gaps so that the card can shine through underneath.
How to make confetti party hats
You could also use strips of crepe paper instead of the confetti if you prefer.
- Party hat template – see above
- Plain white card – you'll need a large sheet, at least A3, to make a few hats
- Pen or pencil
- Hole punch
- Paper confetti (or you can make you own with a large craft hole punch and tissue or crepe paper in various colours as we did for the Confetti Balloons)
- Elastic (we used silver)
1. Click on the image above to download the hat template, print it and then cut it out.
2. Place the hat template on the plain white card, trace around it and cut it out.
3. Bend the hat into a cone shape and glue or tape the edges together. If you have trouble bending the card, roll it around a pen or pencil to make it more malleable.
4. Hole punch two holes opposite each other on bottom of hat.
5. Dab a little glue onto each piece of confetti and begin to layer onto the hat, overlapping each confetti circle to cover the card completely.
6. Attach the elastic through the holes. Make this fairly tight as it will stretch easily to fit around little faces!
How to make strawberry straws
- Red + green card
- Pen or pencil
- Vivid or sharpie marker
- Hole punch
- Paper straws
1. Fold the red card in half and draw a half heart shape, cut around it and unfold to make a heart-shaped strawberry. Repeat to make as many as you like.
2. Draw enough strawberry stalk shapes on the green card to match your strawberry shapes and cut them out.
3. Glue the stalk shapes to the top of the strawberry shapes.
4. Use the vivid or sharpie to mark little seed dots over the red part of the strawberry.
5. Use the hole punch to make a hole in the top and bottom of each strawberry.
6. Thread one strawberry onto each paper straw and enjoy!