Much like a garnish of fresh herbs can really freshen up the look of a dish, I like to go that extra mile if I'm throwing a party for a special occasion and decorate the venue too. So if you're trying out any of the menus from the new summer annual A Free Range Life: Celebrate Summer it doesn't have to take much time or cost a lot to pretty up your location, in fact it's really easy to brighten up a party or special occasion celebration with just a few simple craft supplies!
How to make Confetti Balloons
We've made our own confetti for these balloons but you can buy it if you prefer.
- Sheet of card
- Large round craft hole punch
- Tissue or crepe paper in various colours
- Clear balloons
- Helium (optional)
1. Cut a small strip of card and roll it up so that it will fit inside the neck of the balloon. Secure the edge with some tape.
2. Create confetti by punching holes out of tissue or crepe paper – you'll need a handful for each balloon.
3. Pop the rolled-up card into the neck of a balloon.
4. Funnel a handful of confetti into the balloon through the card tube.
5. Blow up the balloon (use helium if you want them to float upright) and tie it off with a piece of string.
6. Repeat with the remaining balloons.
How to make a tassel garland
You can fit the colours of your tassels to suit any colour theme.
- Tissue paper in various colours
- Thick piece of string or rope
1. Layer four sheets of one shade of tissue paper on top of each other and cut into pieces about 40cm long and 15cm wide.
2. From one of the short ends, make cuts up the length of the paper to about 3cm from the centre. Repeat from the other short end.
3. Little by little, roll the cut piece of tissue paper up so that it is tight in the centre and looks like tassels at the ends.
4. Fold in half so that both tasseled ends are together, and twist so that there is a loop at the other end.
5. Thread the tassels through their loops onto the string or rope, keeping them about 10-15cm apart, and twist again so they are secured in their position along the string. Hang up along a wall or between trees for some instant fun colour!